Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Unqualified

I am mom to a beautiful 13 year old boy and his equally beautiful 2 year old brother. When I say this next sentence out loud it just sounds crazy... incredibly unbelievable... a miracle! "I have been a mom for 13 years!" Really! I can't believe it. And!... I decided to have another one! 

One might think that if I made it this far I might have great parenting advice. One might even try to come to me for said advice. It might seem as though I know exactly what I am doing or that I have it all together. (If you really know me you are smirking right now) I mean after all I have kept two children alive and you could even say they are thriving. 

But I have to say, I do not at all have it together. I have shed many a tear over my inadequacies as a parent. I am unqualified to give you parenting advice. 

The fact that my son is a teenager, scares me. I thought I "would totally be ready" for this when the time came. I am not. And I have been dragged kicking and screaming along the way since his eighth birthday.
I am about to embark on potty training with my 2 year old. I have no clue what I am doing! 
When he was a newborn I called or texted my best friend at least a hundred times a day for like the first 6 months. (I'm not exaggerating. Ask her she will tell you) 

When my friends remind me that I am a good mom, I have to smile, but I can't take credit. I do a lot of things wrong. I don't say this to get down on myself. I say this because Jesus pours out his amazing grace over me every day. Each time I am used up and can't go on, He pours out his grace. Each moment I think, 'I can't do this, why did you choose me?', He pours out his grace. Each time fear grips my heart, He pours out his grace. 

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV) 


I still don't think I am qualified to give parenting advice. I can really only tell you one thing. Lean on Jesus. That's really the only thing I know how to do. My faith in Jesus is what gets me through each day, week, month, year. And I am so glad I can call on Him. His grace is sufficient and for that I will boast all the more gladly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment