Friday, October 10, 2014

Learning to Rest {Day 10.0}

Rest is not always an easy thing to do. Especially intentional rest. I'll just be real for a minute, I like my rest. Not having a schedule or an agenda is one of my favorite ways to spend my day. I crave down time. 
I have had several seasons in my life where I was either running myself ragged or I was an absolute lazy bones. Neither one is healthy. During my busy season, I felt guilty when I rested. During my lazy season, I felt guilty when I rested. And truth be told, in either situation, I was not truly resting. 
I had to learn to balance. It's tricky. I am sure you know that. But as I learned more about who I was and how I was made, it was easier for me to find the balance. I learned that I probably need more rest then most people, and that that's ok. It doesn't mean I am any less than them. I am no less of a mom, wife, friend, employee or woman because I need more rest than my counterparts. Once I recognized this truth I could rest without guilt! 
Now, I try to listen to what my body needs and the key to thriving in this area (at least for me) is making sure I don't feel guilty for resting. When I give myself what I need I can treat my people better. 

God actually commands His people to rest. Our Heavenly Father knows how important it to rest. His love for us gives us permission to rest without shame or guilt. So as I still try to maintain the balance, I trust that God will bless my rest.

Rest might look different for each one of us and it may look different from day to day. Sometimes rest means actual sleep, other times is means not making dinner or doing chores that night. Sometimes rest is laying down in a quiet place with the intention of resting my body. Other times it is reading a book, drawing, crocheting or listening to music. Sometimes rest just means cutting off the noise, no phone, internet, television, shutting it all out and focusing on what is right under my nose. 

It's a process knowing what type of rest I need but the better I get at listening to what I need the better I treat those around me. I no longer rest because I am just to exhausted to go on anymore. I rest because I need it and I try my best to make it an intentional thing. 

How can you begin to incorporate rest into your routine? 

Thanks for reading! 
Love,
~jimmie lee

No comments:

Post a Comment