Saturday, October 11, 2014

Cut The Comparison Trap {Day 11.0}

We all have fallen in to this trap once or twice, or a thousand times. The endless cycle of evaluating our worst parts to our neighbors highlight reel and then feeling sorry for ourselves because we don't measure up. I have believed so many lies about myself because I have let myself fall into the comparison trap one too many times. It's silly really, the things I have let myself feel 'less than' for. 

One important thing I had to do was cut myself off from some things. There were a few bloggers I had to step back from because I just couldn't handle it. I let their posts turn me all shades of green with envy, it's embarrassing really. But that's one of the negatives to living life online, you see into people's lives more so then we ever did in the past. So I had to ask myself a question and I decided it best to just cut it out because then the temptation wasn't there. If I think about it, I still struggle a little with why I had to cut certain blogs out, but really I couldn't STOP comparing so I had to let it go. Obviously, I'm still working this one out. 

I had to unsubscribe from most store emails because well, I really love clothes and I can't afford the habit. Same reason I had to take a step back from spending so much time on Pinterest. 

I also stopped watching TV. I used to watch bad day time television and man was it depressing. But it also messes with head so I had to let it go. I decided to turn it on during the day one time this week and quickly remembered why I stopped watching. It didn't stay on to long after that. I now watch less than a hand full of shows and most of the time I watch them either on demand or online when I get the chance. This change made a big difference in my quality of life and my ability to thrive. 

I remember talking to myself saying things like, 'I wish I was more outgoing like her', 'I wish I had her wardrobe', or "I wish I could be more like him'. I was always wishing I was someone else instead of just being me. Once I made some shifts in my thinking, I was able to start focusing on who I was made to be. I started looking at those things I'd wished I had or could be more like, as that persons strengths. I began to recognize and accept my own strengths. So instead of comparing myself as less than all the time, I began recognizing that we all have a part to play. 

The key was finally realizing what my part was! 
Again this took a lot of work and it was a process to get there. I prayed, sought and found. 

If you need out of the comparison trap today, lay it at the feet of Jesus. He is faithful! 

I am having so much fun on this 31 day journey! 
Thanks for following along with me :)
Love,
~jimmie lee

No comments:

Post a Comment