Thursday, October 16, 2014

Who You Were Created to Be, Knowing Your Purpose {Day 15 & 16}

In order to get caught up and back on track, this is day 15 and 16 of 31 days of Thriving…

{Day 15.0} Purpose
I want to take a moment to talk about knowing who God made you to be and knowing your purpose. I could write for days about this subject! So I will try to keep this plain and simple. 
I struggled for years wondering if I would ever know my purpose. I would get agitated and irritated when preachers would talk about purpose. That super popular book from a few years back, "Purpose Driven Life", I didn't want to have anything to do with it. I thought I might know what my purpose was but I was never really sure and I was kind of upset that God wouldn't just reveal MY purpose. So I shut down, hide away from it and stuffed it all down inside. 
I'll be honest its still difficult for me to pinpoint just one purpose God has for me. I have had many different purposes in many different seasons of my life. Right now, I have about 5 different roles or purposes I could talk about. I used to think you could only have one. What I want you to know today is, your ultimate purpose is to worship God, to serve Him, to love and be loved by Him and to bring His kingdom here to earth. This will look different for each one of us. So if you are struggling with finding your purpose, remember this, God said to love Him, love your neighbor and spread the gospel. Amen? 
Once this is revealed to you and you see this, your whole world will change. Once you understand this truth you will walk out each purpose God has given you with confidence and grace.
One last thing about purpose, it is a process, just like thriving is a process. Your purpose may shift and change, morph and mold into many things over time. Just walk it out with the Holy Spirit, He guides and directs our steps. 

{Day 16.0} Who You Were Created To Be
I asked God to show me who he created me to be. He answered, and is still answering. Its funny how I thought that I was one way but listened to so many lies, its not who I was at all. Listening to voices that didn't matter, that had no weight or bearing on my identity certainly confused me. That on top of being in an unhealthy relationship and becoming a mom at such a young age had me searching for my identity and coming up mostly empty handed. I made decisions based off of what I thought everyone else wanted. I based my plans off of what I thought I had to do instead of truly doing what was best. I guess we all pretty much do that. We do what we think is best at the time. But through this process I lost myself. I needed God to bring me back to myself, to the person he created me to be. 
I am still learning how to walk that out. I am learning little by little how to walk out who I am in confidence. The latest revelation is learning to dance without apologizing. Yep, thats what I am working on right now;) 
I am so thankful to God for the people He has placed around me in this season. I have never had so many people surrounding me who recognize my strengths, appreciate my gifts and encourage me to keep doing me. Ahh, its like a dream! When I count my blessings, that is one of them. 

I can't talk about discovering who God created you to be with out talking about this book, Captivating by John and Stasi Eldrege. This book was like a volcano erupting inside me. Captivating helped to really propel me forward in walking out who God created me to be. And I believe it will do the same for you. This is a book I will keep going back to for sure. You should check it out. (No they are not paying me anything to say that, I just truly love this book and want to share it with you!) 

Thanks for following along on day 15 & 16!

Love, 
~jimmie lee 


No comments:

Post a Comment